The Virginia V is a stately matron of the Sound. She ferried passengers from Seattle to Tacoma for many years, beginning in 1922. At that time it was much more difficult to travel between the two cities, the most practical way was often via one of many small craft that made up the 'Mosquito Fleet'.
Virginia is the last steam-powered member of the Puget Sound's Mosquito Fleet, and is currently undergoing restoration at Pacific Fishermen's in Ballard. Although difficult to take in because she nearly fills the canvas structure, it is a rare chance to see the whole of a fine ship. Even her bones are visible, temporarily. Seeing the work in progress reinforces the value of boatbuilding craft and tradition; it brings that kind of joy that comes from witnessing good true work.